Thursday, December 8, 2011

Not Enough Days/Hours/Weeks

There never seems to be enough time, ever, does there?  It's a common phrase that you hear come out of the mouths of those who are stressed, over worked, and not many options.  They need to get things done, they need more time to accomplish everything.  This kind of feeling of searching for more time comes in waves usually.  When you're in college there just is never enough time around finals to study, finish all your papers, and participate in some fun activities.  When you're working there isn't enough time to work, to enjoy time with your family, and do little things with your life.  You could be unemployed and a hermit, and that feeling of searching for more hours in the day never ceases to come at some point.

December is a prime example of a month where there just simply are not enough days.  I blame Christmas.  Do not get me wrong, I love Christmas and the holidays.  I love the different events that happen around the season.  I love Christmas music.  I especially love that never ending cheer that everyone seems to be contagious around the holiday times.
However, it all seems so rushed.  Not just in the sense that we start prepping for Christmas around a few weeks before Halloween (which is annoying enough).  It is also the fact that our schedules are so packed from Thanksgiving right up until Christmas.  It is, as they say, the nature of the beast.  A blessing and a curse.

Thanksgiving happens, and then, suddenly, we have Christmas parties within the week after, and then we have to really finish up our Christmas shopping because all the sales have already passed (thanks Black Friday).  Then it is more Christmas parties.  Then we have to finish writing our Christmas cards and get them sent out, because how embarrassing would that be if you sent them out AFTER Christmas.  Faux pas, I dare say.  Then someone else invites you to a Christmas party, can't say no because it is the holidays after all.  Then you have to buy everything for the holiday party YOU are throwing.  Right after that there is a Christmas concert at a church that you're performing in (when there was time to learn how to master the hand bells is a great question, with no answer).  Then you have to go to the store and start buying baking supplies, because you remembered you have to make Christmas cookies for 50 people, even though they're already making their own Christmas cookies.

Suddenly, it is December 23rd and you have to go caroling with a youth group and watch Elf.  Oh, and you still have yet to get your father a Christmas present.

Clearly, I am overreacting to my own life. Also, I am overreacting because it is December 8th and I have tons of time.

However, I think I am being accurate in my predictions for how the rest of this week will go.  There is too much squeezed into 25 days.  Now, that I am thinking about it we have lost 8 days and now I only have 17 days.  That is basically two weeks.  Why should I even keep trying to keep up?  Plus, it snowed yesterday that is really going to slow me down.  Now, I basically have about a week to get everything I need to done.  Impossible.  I should just not try at all and eat some Christmas cookies that other people gave me.

Children, and buy children I mean anyone under the age of 22, because I am now old and at liberty to say this, simply do not understand this stress.  This time of the year is magical, filled with snowball fights, and Santa pictures, and toys.  If you're too cool for that (or in college) then you have stupid finals, which are stressful, but it's just some tests and papers...you get them done and then it's smooth sailing.
I would kill to have a final, because finals end, a semester ends and there is a fresh start in a month.  Plus, you get a month long break!  How awesome is that?  Now?  No breaks...it never ends.  It's like having a never ending course in college where the professor (God, or some other higher power that is clearly trying to destroy us all) just owns you.  Throwing pop quiz after pop quiz and there's no time to even prepare.

Okay, I'm a little cynical, but if you saw my calendar over the next few weeks...you'd feel my pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment